All-American Teacher Tools: Twin Connections

Monday, December 5, 2011

Twin Connections

As the mother of twins and a singleton who are now all grown with homes of their own, I can look back fondly and remember all the fun times I had raising my girls.  Gone are the less than memorable moments of cleaning soiled bed linens, midnight croup treatments, boyfriend rejections, and a myriad of other problems.  So, I thought I'd make the lives of the twin parents a bit easier by filtering some websites and links for your review:

http://www.twinstalk.com/ - Lots of parent-to-parent advice about the day-to-day effort of raising twins.

Chicken Soup for the Soul: Twins and More  - Inspirational reading for those times when you know you've added five gray hairs for every waking hour!

Juggling Twins - Well not really, but you get the idea! 

http://www.twinsdoctor.com/ - Advice from a doctor who is also the mother of twins.  You can't argue with those credentials!

http://www.raising-twins.com/ - Tons of advice and links to more advice.  If you can't find the answer here, it doesn't exist!

http://www.nomotc.org/ - The National Organization of Mothers of Twins clubs.  What? You're not a member?  Start a chapter in your area. 

http://www.twinslaw.com - Yes, even twins can have their own special laws, especially if parents want to have their childen separated (or together) in certain school districts.

Raising Twins: From Pregnancy to Preschool - Common sense solutions to some uncommon problems.

Raising twins is really no different from raising two children born at different times.  Parents need to be careful that they raise their children as individuals, rather than as a subset of each other.  This leads to lifelong dependency on another person, which is not emotionally healthy.  I dressed my girls differently, put them in different classes through elementary school, and even gave them separate birthday parties on succeeding weekends.  I would have done the same for two children born a week apart in two different years.  So, when I found one of my twins becoming the non-dominant twin, I sent her to one of those Outward Bound style camps in the Adirondacks to develop independent thinking.  She joined five other tweens and two leaders for a week of intensive orienteering and self-reflection.  To this day, my daughter says it was the best thing I ever did for her.  The experience was rather expensive at the time, but worth every penny in producing the strong, independent woman that she is today.  Maybe I should write one of the resources I've linked you all to above!

Happy Twin Parenting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog