All-American Teacher Tools: Faculty Room Chatter

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Faculty Room Chatter

"If you can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything at all." 

How often have we repeated that adage to our children?  But how often have we heeded that advice ourselves?  Many times, I would walk into a faculty room conversation that maligned a student who had just acted up in someone else's class.  Or I would overhear a hushed conversation about another teacher who was dating a married man.  ACK!  If anyone reading this worked with me, you'll understand now why I didn't frequent the faculty room.  Many years ago, I figured out that when I didn't add to that conversation, or worse, begin one about someone else, my life seemed to run smoother.  Why?  I don't have a good answer for that, but I definitely saw a connection between good things happening in my life and refusing to talk about another human being in a negative manner.  Maybe it was the universe gods (or God if you're a believer as I am) that showed me the error of my ways.  As a related sidenote, many years ago, I used a funny expression to describe my grandmother because she was "all bent over like a question mark."  Well, the universe gods got even with me for making fun of her because now in my 62nd year, I struggle for that erect stance I had in my 20s.  Oh well, lessons learned late are better than lessons never learned at all, I suppose. 

This blog post has turned out to be a bit of an Internet homily, and I apologize if I've offended anyone in the process.  However, I think it's important that we treat everyone with respect whether it's the nuisance kid in the back of the room, the back-stabbing colleague, or the needling administrator.  Do you agree with this logic?  If so, then either redirect the negative conversations you hear in the faculty room, or leave as I did to the sanctuary of your own room.  It's your choice!

Happy Teaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Shelfari: Book reviews on your book blog